Ad-link header

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Athishaya Pathiri with Beef / Malabar Lasagna (Celebrating 1 year of Blogging !!)


            It's gonna be 1 year since Im blogging....Crossed 1 lakh views by now...Last Ramadan did I enter this wonderful world of blogging, when we Muslims do give a try to many new dishes...A lot has changed with this 1 year...If you see my earlier posts, you can see a gradual change in my pics (I suppose). At first, the major drawback of my blog was that my pics weren't really eye catching or pleasing enough..Even though the recipe was good, that didn't seem to have any use...I used to admire the photography skills of other bloggers..How do they do it??? [I still do admire many bloggers]...I have tried changing my photography methods, & I think i have succeeded to an extent..There is a lot more to explore...But Im loving the clicks & posting..Getting no time nowadays as my little one seems to be very naughty.....

           I have SO enjoyed sharing recipes, conducting events & being connected to people from all over....  When I started this little blog, I never thought it would give me such pleasure... It's been amazing to have readers contact me with question and comments ...Getting response from our followers & readers was the other best thing in blogging....Got a new friends circle.....If someone prepares my dish & sends me the feedback, thats something which really highlightens my day....Thanks to all those who have supported me till now & hoping more in future too..Expecting new friends also....I love helping out beginners, as its lovely to see them expressing their happiness when they succeed in preparing something from my blog & all in their family were happy..





        So lets come to our post...Athishaya Pathiri...'Athishayam' means wonder or surprise....This dish is actually baked pancakes with a non-veg filling that turns out to be a cake...May be thats the wonder here...Anyhow this 'surprise cake' is really mouth watering...I never thought of preparing this, as I had a bad feeling about it complications...But thanks to Rafeeda AR, owner of the page The Big Sweet Tooth, whose writings made me feel easy on this 'Athishaya Pathiri'...



        I have reduced the amount of egg used, since I didnt want so much of eggs to go into my tummy...Seeing the number of eggs increased my heart ache...Also I should have used a more smaller saucepan...& thats the reason why my wonder cake turned a bit small & flattened, instead of towering..But there was no compromise for the taste..It was just awesome..

        I used to make these pancakes, cooking both sides called as 'Paalada' , mostly at my house...Using thick coconut milk gives it a special taste..Its my favourite along with most spicy curries...& something really easy to prepare too...
 

        Ususally athishaya pathiri is made with chicken i suppose, but i gave it a try with beef...This is a very traditional Malabar spicy delicacy which is a real tummy filler to have at Iftar ... Malabar food is so much an excitement for any cook...... I'm not hailing from Malabar, so if there is a mistake, kindly forgive...This is indeed a good recipe with a very impressive outcome !!

Ingredients (for masala)


1. Beef/Chicken - 250 gm
2. Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
3. Chilli powder - 1/2 tsp
4. Coriander powder -1/2 tbsp
5. Garam masala - 1/4 tsp
6. Black pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
7. Ginger - 1/2 tsp (grated/paste)
8. Garlic -  1/2 tsp (grated/paste)
9. Salt-1/2 tsp
10. Onion - 1 large (sliced)
11. Green chillies - 2 (chopped)
12. Coconut oil/Oil - 1 tsp

Ingredients (for pancakes)


13. All purpose flour (maida) - 1 cup
14. Egg - 1
15. Thick Coconut Milk / Milk - 1 cup
16. Water - Enough to make the batter loose.
17. Salt - 1/2 tsp

Ingredients (extra)


18. Ghee - 1 tbsp
19. Cashewnuts -6-7 (optional)
20 . Raisins/kismis - 5 (optional)
21. Eggs -4 (I used only 2 ..thats why my athishya pathiri is little small..)
22. Salt and pepper to taste 

Preparation (of masala)

~Cook the cleaned beef in the pressure cooker along with turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, pepper, ginger, garlic & salt (6-7 whistles...until cooked)
~ Once the pressure goes on its own, keep the chicken/ beef on high flame till the stocks dry up and coat on the meat. 
~Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil and saute the onions and green chilies with a pinch of salt till well cooked.
~Grind little the cooked beef in a grinder. 
~Add this grinded beef to the onion and mix well & cook for 1 min in medium flame.
~Keep the masala aside.




Preparation (of pancakes)

~Add eggs, coconut milk, maida, salt & blend well.
~To make the batter thin use sufficient water.
~Heat a fry pan and make the crepes/pancakes without using any oil. 
~Ensure that the pancakes are really thin.
~Only cook one side, you do not need to flip over. 
~The quantity mentioned gives around 10 pancakes. 
~Keep them aside.




Preparation (of extras)

~In a small saucepan, heat the ghee & fry the cashews & then the raisins & keep aside. (optional)
~Heat up a saucepan (the one that you use for making your curries!) till dry. 
~Pour this ghee in the saucepan and nicely brush all over the pan. We will use this pan for the layering.
~Beat the eggs along with the salt and pepper well with a spoon. 

Preparation (of athishaya pathiri)

~Dip one pancake both the sides in the egg mix and place it in the saucepan.
~Sprinkle some beef masala on the top of the pancake. 
~Do not stuff masala too much, sprinkle sparingly.
~(Else you can place the pancake in the saucepan & sprinkle beef masala & then pour little egg mix on top with a spoon as I did, to reduce the egg usage)

~Dip the next pancake into the egg and lay on the top, again sprinkle the beef masala.
~Keep repeating the process till the last pancake is layered on the top.
~Pour the remaining egg mixture on the top and ensure that the egg mixture onto the sides of the towered pancakes. 
~This will ensure that the sides are locked.

~Keep the saucepan with the lid tightly closed on the lowest flame for around 15 minutes.
~Now slowly flip the pathiri onto a flat plate, and then flip it again on another plate and back into the saucepan for cooking the top portion properly. [care required]
~Keep for another 15 minutes. 
~Ensure the flame is low so that the outers don't get burned.
~You can bake this as well for 15-20 mins.
~For serving, flip it onto a flat plate & sprinkle the roasted nuts & raisins & cut it just like a cake. 


22 comments:

  1. perfect sajina!! so happy to hear that i was the one who made u feel at ease making it!!! :) would really appreciate if you could link it back to my blog... thanks a lot dear... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Rafeeda...Ur post really inspired me...Have linked it back 2 ur blog too...Thns a lot dear...:)

      Delete
    2. Thank u so much! Appreciated...

      Delete
  2. great,congrats on ur blog anniversary

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day and Happy 1 year anniversary! TRUE!
    I would LOVE to try this recipe, but don't know if I could do!
    Cheers! Joanne
    Looking for likers oon FB too http://www.facebook.com/whatsonthelist Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pathhari looks fabulous. I am a big fan of malabar cusine & love teh outcome of this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW also congrtz on your 1 year & look slike you have had a great journey. 1lakh is a big number!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats dear :) Loved the Malabar lasagna.. Looks very inviting !

    ReplyDelete
  7. First of all Congrats Saju, I like the way you put ur recipes and the whole layout. All your hard work really pays off. Wish you many many more success and many more anniversaries in the future...
    The pathiri looks super delicious and yummy...
    Way to go girl, keep rocking and keep blogging...

    ReplyDelete
  8. congrats on your blog anniversary... btw love the recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks tempting ! Congrats on your anniversary...and lovely clicks !

    ReplyDelete
  10. congratss for the anniversary!!
    u hav been an inspiration for begginners lyk me to enter kitchen :)
    n my umma s deeply indebted to u for making me interested in cuking .
    long way to go!

    btw gonna try this recepie

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow...congo girl...more and more years to go....wonderfully made

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats for the anniversary...and lovely post

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats dear and the pathiri looks super tempting

    ReplyDelete
  14. Superb clicks n just love the recipe ....Congrats...

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is very delicious and tasty beef. Malabar food is very famous and especially for Iftar. This is amongst best cooking recipes in non-veg category.

    ReplyDelete
  16. nice posting..thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Something really unique! Happy to see this post, as now will have something new to try this year...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Recent Posts

Thanks


A big thanks for your valuable time reading my blog post...Your comments and feedback is very valuable to me & I would feel more happier.... Please feel free to leave your comments & suggetions for this post... Thanks a loot...
Try out my easy recipe & post its beautiful pic in my facebook page..
https://www.facebook.com/SajusTaste
or you can mail it to me..
~ SAJINA BISHAR